High-Waisted Trousers – How to Style Them
High-waisted trousers are back in fashion after being a huge hit, especially in the 80s and 90s. After years of wearing mainly skinny pants with a very low waist, our legs are now enjoying new lengths, thanks to a high waistline.
Choosing the right high-rise pants is essential always to look your best, as well as knowing how to style them in your outfits, depending on your body type.
High-Waisted Trousers to Wear Depending on Your Body Type
There are classic high-waisted pants for every body type, but mine is probably not the same as yours!
Are you long and slim? Then choose high-waisted trousers with pleats, draping at the hips and waist that will redefine your figure.
Full hips often look great in a palazzo or high-waisted wide-leg trousers in loose, flowing fabrics but without pleats at the waist.
For petite women, we recommend the opposite: opt for a tapered or cigarette shape that tapers towards the ankle – straight or slim pants.
Statement Trousers Trending Right Now
This summer’s high-waisted trousers are often floor-length or, on the contrary, ankle-length. They come in various styles, cuts, and materials to choose from: urban materials such as cotton or denim or delicate fabrics, silky, flowing.
- The Marlene trousers were inspired by the famous actress Marlene Dietrich, who pushed the boundaries of fashion towards an androgynous style. She often wore male-inspired clothes, including high-waisted trousers, breaking the norms of society and becoming a style icon and a trendsetter.
- The Audrey Hepburn-inspired pants: high-rise cropped Capri trousers were a style signature of the all-time fashion icon and “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” star, Audrey Hepburn. They can be worn in various ways, from chic to casual.
- Wide-legged Palazzo pants: pioneers in the fashion world, the hit of the 60s. Chanel propelled this type of trousers, a statement regarding women’s desire for equality while still being inspired by men’s fashion.
- Retro high-rise trousers have also returned, inspired by the 80s fashion, often with a wide waist, narrowing towards the ankle or calf.
- Hippie-flared trousers: if you get bored of the 80s, turn the Time Machine a little more, back to the 70s. From there, we “borrow” the hippie flared trouser designs that are making a comeback essentially every spring and summer and make us achieve that boho look we love. Wear them with satin blouses, pyjama-style jackets, blazers, and tunics with interesting, puffed sleeves.
- Cargo-style high-waisted trousers. With lots of pockets and a comfortable fit, designed for functionality and freedom of movement, the Cargo trousers can be effortlessly styled: they look perfect with heels and sophisticated pieces of clothing.
Three ideas to create a chic outfit with your high-waisted trousers
High-waisted trousers are versatile and can be worn in many situations, from office to casual or even evening or cocktail outfits.
Choose a flowy top or shirt that can be tucked into the trousers
Especially if you have rounded hips and wear wide high-waisted trousers, the blouse tucked into the trousers is very flattering. You can highlight your waist with a pretty belt in the same colour as your trousers, or in a contrasting colour. Choose a top that is a little wide and sewn in a lovely fluid fabric, for example, our Forte-Tête shirt in silk crepe.
Wear a blouse over your trousers
Wear with straight or slim high-waisted trousers to avoid weighing down your figure. A simple rule that can help you is to wear narrow tops if the bottom is wide, or vice versa. You can obviously wear loose tops with loose trousers, but the combination is more difficult to master. To wear the top over your pants, choose a loose, flowing blouse and the length according to your body type. A short length (at the waist or just below) will minimise full hips or a small tummy. If the length of your top is not ideal, try tucking it in at the front on one side only to create an asymmetry. Try this look with our Fantaisie top.
Wear a delicate cotton blouse
A delicate white cotton blouse with the collar open is a timeless and safe choice if you are in a classic and more conservative company. The quality of your blouse will make a difference, and we recommend investing in a beautiful piece that will last for years. You can also add a little sparkle with a dramatic brooch or a colourful belt for a touch of chic fantasy.
Three ideas for a casual outfit with your high-waisted trousers
Pair with an oversized blouse
Best if you’re tall and slim, this outfit will help you achieve a casual yet chic look, suitable for days when you just want to wear something comfortable.
Pair with a crop top
A crop top paired with high-waisted women’s trousers is the outfit for a summer evening or a late afternoon after a day at the beach.
Wear it with the essential white t-shirt
A beautiful white cotton t-shirt paired with high-waisted, wide-leg trousers, both chic and casual. You can play with the details by changing the shoes, for example, white trainers, or ballet flats in the colour of your trousers.
What Trousers Work Best for You
Nowadays, we are blessed with so many options for trousers. Find out which style suits you best:
Straight-leg trousers are the gold standard for trousers cut and fit any shape. You can’t go wrong with a pair of these. Straight-leg trousers have an even width from thigh to ankle, neither too narrow nor too wide, and follow the length of the leg elegantly.
Straight-cut trousers appeal to people with slim legs and hips of any height and look good with heels or even sneakers, according to the latest fashion trends.
Wide-leg trousers follow the classic waist and hips line, the difference being at the thigh where the trousers no longer follow the line of the leg but flare up to the bottom. They are suitable for almost all body types, especially if fitted at the hips, without pleats or gathers.
Unfortunately, slim trousers, although versatile in terms of outfits we can create with them, are not an effortless style to wear for all body types. You can wear slim trousers whatever your size, but they are more flattering for ‘medium’ sizes. If you are skinny, perhaps a size 34 or 36 slim pair of trousers can make you look too thin and not very feminine. If you have round hips, slim-fit trousers will emphasise and accentuate your shape; however, you can hide them very well under a long tunic and enjoy the comfort that slim-fit trousers with elastane provide with elegance!
Trousers are no longer the preserve of gentlemen and have become emblematic in women’s fashion. Although it seems simple, there’s a lot to weigh when choosing a pair of trousers.
High-waisted trousers, worn correctly, give any look a retro, feminine, and sophisticated vibe. They are also a versatile piece of clothing that can be worn to work, for a walk in the park or for a weekend away with friends.
Contrary to popular belief, a pair of high-waisted trousers are very suitable for any woman, as long as you know how to style them correctly because they mark the waist and make the silhouette look very feminine.
You liked this article? You will certainly like this one too An extraordinary woman, Viktoria
Share this article :